Self-Care for the Holidays
* Give yourself permission to go slow.
* Don’t forget to breathe.
* Lower your expectations. Have none!
* Take yourself out of the situation if you need to. Come back
when you are ready.
* Get enough rest.
* Make wise food choices. Drink lots of water.
* Respect your budget.
* Take a walk, or spend some time outside.
* Engage all of your senses. Be mindful!
* Maintain your boundaries. Remember that it’s ok to say no.
* Focus on making good memories.
* Unplug! Spend quality time without distraction of electronics.
* Take a few moments to reflect.
Mental Health Awareness Month has been observed in May in the United States since 1949,
with the goal of spreading awareness, ending stigma, fostering community, and encouraging
help. Of course mental health is important all year-round, but emphasizing these issues in May
gives us the chance to come together to show support and to join efforts for those who
experience mental health symptoms and diagnoses. While 1 in 5 people will experience a
mental illness during their lifetime, everyone faces challenges in life that can impact their mental
health. So, what can you do to help?
Spread awareness to end stigma and encourage help. Talk about the facts. Increasing
awareness means more people are aware that they’re struggling from treatable issues, more
significant others and families are informed on encouraging earlier access to care, more
attention is given to the need for continued research, and an increased willingness to donate to
organizations that help to raise awareness for mental health. Educate yourself and your peers;
let them know that they are not alone and that help is available.
On Monday May 25, 2020, we celebrate Memorial Day. This federal holiday commemorates the
men and women who died while in the military service of their country, particularly those who
died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle. In other words, the purpose of
Memorial Day is to memorialize the veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.
While Memorial Day weekend